Friday, October 5, 2012

Kamakura: Introduction.

Last saturday, I went to Kamakura. I shall do this in parts.

Kamakura was the city created by the 1st Shogunate, Minamoto Yoritomo the third son of the Minamoto clan. By many this city is considered the third capital of Japan created at the end of the Genji wars.  Now, technically the Kyoto central government still existed but power had shifted to the Minamoto clan who had the Emperor create the Shogun position. A sign of the clans influence. Many consider this the starting line for the creation of the Samurai.
Here is my first look of the city:
It is just outside of the station.
The tori (the red gate) leads to a shopping lane rather than a shrine. I know nothing of the tori or the shrine that used to be there. The first thing I vist in Kamakura is the shopping lane.

The Totoro shop really caught my eye. It is cute.
There was nothing to do with Howard's Moving Castle, though.

I really wanted to ride one of those. It was really hot and I would have felt bad.








No comments: