Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tokyo: Asakusa Around Sensouji Temple and the Festival

  Here are some pictures of around the grounds of Sensouji Temple. Kinda random, I know. There were several small "halls" but the information about them was in Japan.










This hall, I actually know a little about this one. The picture below is of the Yogodo Hall which was built in 1994 in order to commemorate the birth day of the monk who establishing the temple succeses. This temple has the Bodhisattva Kannon and twelve other protective Buddhas. Each of the twelve Buddhas symbolize a year of the original Chinese zodiac cycle. My protective Buddha is Dainichi.

Here are some more pictures.
I stumbled upon an area of the temple that worked as a memorial site.
There are many tablets that have people's names on it I don't think anyone is actual buried here.
This one of Japan's first social worker.
Helped people in need her entire life,
during the Meiji Era.

This is a grave. I don't remember who.











 The final picture on the right s of a famous Kabuki actor dressed as his most popular role.

Anyway, while I was there the Temple held its Dancing Golden Dragon Festival. The festival is held twice a year, as the legend goes, on some 18 day of some month 1000 pine trees sprouted up as a golden dragon descended from the sky flying to the forest. I have no idea why and the dragon was never seen again. Sounds sorta like a ghost story, you know. Said in a scary voice, "Now on the 18th of every month in the dead of night a shimmering golden light in the shape of dragon can be seen. But anyone who sees the light disappears into the forest never to be heard of again."
I got videos and picts. this time.
But before the video of the small festival are some pictures of the route the dragon float took.






 
Now for the videos: (Two of them are the same but I couldn't decided which one was better.)
Next is a Shrine, and the final episode of Asakusa.

No comments: